Topic: Covid: Dutch accept life within 'lockdown-lite'

Covid: Dutch accept life within 'lockdown-lite'

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/137A8/production/_121548797_mediaitem121548796.jpg

Twinkling fairy lights embellish the Linden trees around the Dutch parliament square.

rotation Each time Rates SLOT XO are calculated. Negotiate separately, and it doesn't depend on the amount received or paid out.

Flames warm friends huddled beneath heaters glowing amber against the autumnal dusk.

While the anti-lockdown, anti-vax protesters and conspiracy propagators who hurled fireworks at riot police dominated the front pages, they represent a minority.

Most people in the Netherlands reluctantly agree that sacrificing parts of their social lives can contribute to the greater good.

The Dutch government has announced a lockdown-lite designed to limit social contacts, in response to a sharp increase in infections. A record 16,324 new cases were recorded in one day this week and they remain stubbornly high.

"I do think it disproportionately affects young people," says Saskia Heyster, who is worried about her mental health.

"My studies can be stressful, last lockdown I got overwhelmed with the stress of managing everything. I really relish having a coffee and not having it feel illegal. I hope to have time to focus on other activities that don't involve going out for drinks. Honestly though, I've been having a meltdown."

"It's pretty gutting, pretty frustrating," says Neill Bo Finlayson, who has just finished his pint.

"My experience is lockdown after lockdown. It's especially hard as we've just seen what life can be like, but public safety comes first and you've got to do what you've got to do. The rules aren't that draconian, and we're well conditioned to it now."

"Mental health should be treated the same as physical health and we young people are affected most by these measures - physically and mentally," says Natasja, who confides she's afraid of loneliness if the measures drag on beyond the planned three weeks.

The Netherlands has been criticised for taking a relatively relaxed approach in the past.